- Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
- Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top servings with chips and cheese. Top with your choice of crushed chips and shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, chopped green onions or pico de gallo. Looking for a little extra kick? Try adding a few slices of jalapeno—just be sure you wear gloves when cutting the hot peppers as the oils can burn your skin.